I'm 32. Born in 1970 I grew up in upstate NY (in and around Schenectady). I moved to Worcester, MA for college in August, 1989. Moved to Berkeley, CA in August 1995, then to Waltham, MA in February, 1998, and lastly back to Worcester in June 2002.
What do you call...
1. A body of water, smaller than a river, contained within relatively narrow banks?
Stream or creek. I remember using brook more as a kid.
2. The thing you push around the grocery store?
Shopping cart or shopping trolley.
3. A metal container to carry a meal in?
4. The thing that you cook bacon and eggs in?
Frying pan or skillet.
5. The piece of furniture that seats three people?
Couch or sofa.
6. The device on the outside of the house that carries rain off the roof?
7. The covered area outside a house where people sit in the evening?
Porch or a deck.
8. Carbonated, sweetened, non-alcoholic beverages?
Soda or soft drink.
9. A flat, round breakfast food served with syrup?
10. A long sandwich designed to be a whole meal in itself?
Sub or grinder mostly, sometimes a hoagie.
11. The piece of clothing worn by men at the beach?
Bathing suit, swim suit, or swim trunks.
12. Shoes worn for sports?
Well, generically I guess sneakers, though more likely to be more specific like running shoes, track shoes, cleats, etc.
13. Putting a room in order?
Cleaning or tidying up.
14. A flying insect that glows in the dark?
Firefly - sometimes glow bug, but that's more something I hear used than I use.
15. The little insect that curls up into a ball?
Oh, I finally remembered these things - pill bugs.
16. The children's playground equipment where one kid sits on one side and goes up while the other sits on the other side and goes down?
See-Saw or Teeter-Totter.
17. How do you eat your pizza?
Pick up the slice by the crust and eat it from the tip in. If it is a *big* slice I'll kind of fold/roll it to keep it from flopping around.
18. What's it called when private citizens put up signs and sell their used stuff?
Garage sale or yard sale.
19. What's the evening meal?
Dinner, maybe supper.
20. The thing under a house where the furnace and perhaps a rec room are?
One from gizmoek:
21. The thing you drink water out of in public places?