Log in

No account? Create an account
Ramblings Journals I Read Calendar The Dirt MegaZone's Waste of Time Older Older Newer Newer
MegaZone's Safety Valve
The Ramblings of a Damaged Mind
Last Will?
So, I'm thinking, now that I own a house, and a ton of other crap, I really should have a Will and all...

Anyone local have a Will done? And recommendations as to how to go about that?


I am: thoughtful thoughtful
Current Media: Red Hot Chili Peppers: Californication - Purple Stain

kadnkadnk From: kadnkadnk Date: October 18th, 2005 11:09 am (UTC) (Direct Link)
No will here. :( Which is bad, since we own property and have a kid that'd need a guardian and all. Really should get on that. Please post if/when you find one and how complex it gets?

heidi_and_colin From: heidi_and_colin Date: October 18th, 2005 06:12 pm (UTC) (Direct Link)
You would have other concerns that Zoner would not... you should look at getting a trust set up to name guardians, reciprocating wills with your DH, not just a standard Will.
reme From: reme Date: October 18th, 2005 12:20 pm (UTC) (Direct Link)
i think jen savage did one a few months ago.
purly From: purly Date: October 18th, 2005 03:29 pm (UTC) (Direct Link)
I used https://www.legacywriter.com/

You may or may not want to go for something by a lawyer instead, depending on how complicated your will is.
xinie From: xinie Date: October 18th, 2005 12:27 pm (UTC) (Direct Link)
We just have will software and book, which is lame but better than nothing.

Should we speak up now if there's something of yours that we want after you die? (Dibs on Zoner's kidney!!!)
chiieddy From: chiieddy Date: October 18th, 2005 01:13 pm (UTC) (Direct Link)
I don't have anything complex, so I used Suze Orman's Will & Trust Kit. You can get it cheapest through her website. There's more than just the standard will in there. I also have my healthcare proxy through that kit. You just have to have the documents notarized, which if you have an account in a bank or credit union, you can probably get done there for free. Just call ahead.

If you've got more complex circumstances, then you might need an attorney. I'm considering putting my home into a living revokable trust to avoid tying it up in probate if I die. The living revokable trust basically avoids a whole bunch of estate issues and would allow my family to sell my home without having to wait for probate. I'm not sure I can set it up on my own, even though the kit comes with information on how to do it.
chiieddy From: chiieddy Date: October 19th, 2005 06:39 pm (UTC) (Direct Link)
Just an amendment. I was doing my monthly perusal of Suze Orman's website and found this today. Made me think of you. :)
also_huey From: also_huey Date: October 18th, 2005 01:51 pm (UTC) (Direct Link)
I've had one for fifteen years. The Army is very keen on them, prevents a lot of bad press and lawsuits from "grieving widow". A Nolo Press book or a piece of software is probably your best bet, unless'n you're doing something fancy. I have a brother sixteen years younger than I am, and leaving money to a minor is complicated and requires a lawyer to get the trust bit right. And even if you do the nolo press / software thing, you might want to drop $200 for a consult and have it looked at by a Real Actual Lawyer anyways.
thekimmer From: thekimmer Date: October 18th, 2005 05:44 pm (UTC) (Direct Link)
I used a fantastic attorney that my friend Trina used to work for when she first passed the Massachusetts Bar. He's thorough, fair and won't scam money.

Thomas P Millott, Attorney
22 Elm Street Suite 305, Worcester, MA 01608
(508) 767-0400
zonereyrie From: zonereyrie Date: October 18th, 2005 07:07 pm (UTC) (Direct Link)
How much am I looking at spending? I really have no idea about these things. :-)