1. Do you prefer solicitors and service staff to address you by first name or by title+last (e.g. "Ms. Smith", "Dr. Adams", etc.)?
I really don't care, or notice.
2. How many careers have you had?
Career - one I suppose: Professional Geek.
3. How many jobs? How many employers?
Well, on that career path, I couldn't tell you how many jobs I've had. I've lost track, since during the tech bubble my job title changed many times - sometimes officially, sometimes unofficially. And even without my title changing, my actually duties/job changed. With my current employer, Cyphermint, I've had at least three 'jobs' - Professional Services, Webmaster/IT Staff, IT Director. But I think my title was 'Senior Software Engineer' for a while, I don't know. As for employers: Xylogics, Livingston/Lucent (Livingston was purchased while I was there), GTE Internetworking, Event Zero, Experience.com (contractor) and Cyphermint. Between Experience.com and Cyphermint I was laid-off and had some short-term work.
4. What was the best employer you worked for?
Livingston was my favorite place to work. Cyphermint would probably be second. I guess I like working for the smaller companies more than the big ones.
5. What was your favorite job?
Hmm... Maybe my current one, Director of IT Operations. Though the time at Livingston might win - but it is hard to label. It was 95-98, during the tech bubble, so my job was kind of random. I just did whatever needed doing and looked interesting, and I got to work from home a lot. So I guess being a 'Technologist' at Livingston was the best.
6. How many companies, businesses or incorporated organizations have you founded?
None. I've helped start up some anime conventions and I helped found the ISPC but I don't that that was incorporated.
7. Did you grow up to be what you wanted to be when you were 5? When you were 10? When you were 15? When you were 20?
5: I have no idea what I wanted to be at 5.
10: I don't really recall what I wanted to be at 10 either, though I was very into aircraft so probably a pilot. I am a license pilot, but I last flew in 1991 or so.
15: I think by then I was starting to think about being an architect or working in aerospace. So no to both.
20. Well, at 20 I was at WPI and I was an Aerospace Engineering major and still expected to be an Aerospace Engineer for my career. By the time I was 22 I no longer wanted to do that, and I ended up in tech where I'm happier.
8. Have you published any books or academic papers? How many?
I was Technical Editor on one book, I think that's it. I wrote for the college paper and lit mag, which I wouldn't count.
9. Do you hold any patents? How many?
10. Are you licensed or certified to practice a profession(s)? If so, what?
I was a Certified Information Systems Security Professional and a Red Hat Certified Engineer, but they've both lapsed.
11. Ever served in the military? What branch and how long?
12. What's the largest number of employees you have ever managed at a time?
Three. At Livingston one of my hats was Webmaster and I had two web developers plus partial management of a person in marketing. And now at Cyphermint I have three IT staffers.
13. How many countries have you lived in?
One. (The People's Republic of Berkeley is still part of the US.)
14. How many times have you been married?
15. How many kids do you have? How many grandkids?
None, and I don't plan to have any.
16. Whom do you observe Thanksgiving with?
Sometimes friends, usually alone. Thanksgiving isn't a good day for me, it stirs up too many emotions.
17. How many parents have you had?
Bizarre question. Well, 4 I suppose. The genetic donors who sired me, and my adoptive parents.
18. How many of your parents are still alive? How close are/were you to them?
The gene donors I neither know nor care about. My parents are still alive and I'm fairly close to them. I've always been reasonably close to my mother, and over the past few years my dad and I started getting along better than in the past.
19. What's one way you were surprised to find out you turned out like one of your parents?
I can't think of anything. I am like them in a number of ways, but nothing surprises me about that.
20. What's one way you expected to turn out like your parent(s) and were surprised not to?
21. Do you own or rent your home? If the former, how many years on your mortgage, if any?
I own, and I have about 29 years left on the 30 year mortgage.
22. Do you have roommates (i.e. non-family adults living with you)? If not, how long has it been since you had roommates?
I do not. I last had roommates when I lived with z_gryphon and kviri in Waltham. We split up in June 2002.
23. Have you ever sat on a jury?
No. I have been called for duty a few times, but always sent home without being inpanelled.
24. Have you ever run for office? Held office?
25. Are you a member of a political party? Do you volunteer with it? Do you donate money to it?
26. What's the nicest restaurant you've been to in the past year?
Like I can remember everyplace I've been in the past year... My folks and I ate at a very nice place at Disney when I visited them last winter, but I couldn't tell you the name. Other than that, probably Fugakyu Cafe and Sudbury, MA.
27. What's the nicest item of furniture you've bought? (Gifts don't count!)
Hmm, either my bed or the leather living room set. (I guess my HDTV isn't furniture, or I'd say that.)
28. What kitchen appliance are you most happy you bought? (Gifts don't count!)
The new gas range for my house.
29. Do you have a preferred airline? How many frequent flyer miles do you have?
American Airlines, and currently 19,619. I've had WAY more than that banked up in the past, over 100,000, but last year I got some first class tickets at the last minute - which ate 90,000. And I have tickets to Vegas for CES in January, and those took 45,000.
30. Where do you like to go to vacation?
As cheesy as it is - Walt Disney World is my favorite vacation spot.
31. Women: Do you wear skirts or trousers on the job?
32. Men: Do you currently have facial hair?
33. Do you have grey hair yet? If so, do you try to hide it?
Not that I know of. I am starting to go bald on the top/back of my head. It isn't bare yet, but noticeably thinned out.